One year from now, Marvel Studios will unveil its biggest gamble yet - the superhero space epic, Guardians of the Galaxy. When I say "gamble", I mean it's the first movie the studio has produced that doesn't star one of its iconic characters, like Iron Man or Hulk. Nope, GotG will introduce a new, cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe, and a new cast of characters to go along with it.
Since most movie-goers aren't familiar with the GotG characters, I think we can expect to see a lot of background info coming from Marvel in the next few months. In fact, Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige got the ball rolling with an extensive interview with EmpireOnline last week. In the chat, Feige dropped several details about the flick that shed light on the new characters.
Highlights From Kevin Feige's 'Empire' Interview
- GotG takes place in the same time period as 'Iron Man 3' and 'Thor: The Dark World'.
- The main villain will be Ronan the Accuser - played by Lee Pace. (This is major news because up til now it wasn't clear who the main bad guy would be.)
- We'll learn more about Thanos in 'GotG'. (I'm sure you remember Thanos - he was the purple-skinned dude from the post-credits scene in 'The Avengers'.)
- Gamora (played by Zoe Saldana) will start off as a baddie, but then joins the Guardians.
- Rocket Raccoon will be a genetically and mechanically altered creature - an "experiment" from one part of the galaxy. (It was also revealed recently that Bradley Cooper is close to signing a deal to voice the CGI Rocket Raccoon.)
Bonus: GotG has been filming in the London area for about a month, but we haven't seen too many spy pics of the outdoor scenes. Last week, we got our very first look at Michael Rooker's character - Yondu. Thanks to superherohype.com, you can check him out in all his blue-skinned glory below.
'Guardians of the Galaxy' opens on August 1, 2014